Monday, August 28, 2006

One must never let the influence of evil demons gain control of the brush

Demon schmemon.

Back to reading some of the Merce Cunningham critical biography. I'm still pleased with it. My major criticism is very obvious and boring--his analysis of Martha Graham and most of earth/body art doesn't really mention feminism or talk about gender enough.

I wrote a poem. It goes under the category of tired poems. It is called "I prefer people"

I don't care.
We're getting bored and stupid.

Actually, this is normal.
Let's write a break-up book together.

Please believe me when
I say I believe you hate your job.

First day teaching went fine. My books weren't in the bookstore, but never mind. The class is so very large for a creative writing workshop--25 students. Whew!

I've also begun training so that I can eventually teach courses at the Art Institute Online. Since moving, I've become increasingly amenible to interacting in online environments, but it's going to take some getting used to, certainly.

I've recently heard from two friends from highschool. One of them mentioned his parents just moved to Canada. I say hooray for moving to Canada. I could certainly be a recluse here and write nature poetry. It's not to late to farm, etc.

4 comments:

Jessica Smith said...

wow, that view is beautiful. canada is great. i like the idea of vancouver, though i've never been there.

i've been fantaisizing, this week, about tromping off to mexico or ecuador. ryan went to guatemala and i wanna do that too.

maybe i should just go to the local hole-in-the-wall mexican food joint and hope for the best

i want to see mexico city.

25 students in CW? goodness.

Ian Keenan said...

Cunningham’s transition from Martha Graham to solo has always interested me, not that I’ve studied the specifics of it so much that it seems to me like a metaphor for what was happening to art at the time in general – MC’s theory of dance rather than MG’s. I will read about this more but at the moment I don’t let the facts get in the way of a good metaphor.

I may drive back into Mexico some time this winter or spring, perhaps making it to Cen. Am. too this time.

K. Lorraine Graham said...

"it seems to me like a metaphor for what was happening to art at the time in general" Yes, he places this in the context of the move from Abstract Expressionism to pop art--it's totally relevant.

Your potential trip to Mexico and South America this spring sounds terrible. Just awful (thinnly veiled friendly jealousy and sarcasm). Let us know if you end up anywhere near Tijuana, although I imagine that's a bit out of the way.

Ian Keenan said...

The way I look at it is that Martha Graham wanted a ‘politically committed dance’ and Merce seemed to know exactly what he wanted but people still have been unable to describe what it is. And this difference has a lot to do with what words do and what they don’t do.