Friday, June 15, 2007

I would like to have several layers of my skin removed and

other things, too.

I still have hives.

Today on break I was talking with two of my students, a Japanese woman and a young man from Italy.

Japanese woman: Most women here are sluts.
Italian man: Yeah, all the women I meet at bars are sluts.
Me: that is because you are going to slut bars.
Pause.
Me: The US is big, and there are many different kinds of people here, just like there are many different kinds of people in Europe.

I remember when I was going to a French school in Guangzhou, I started swearing frequently, because it's easy to swear in a foreign language, people think it's funny, and you don't really know what you're saying. I spent several months saying "bitch" and "shove it up your ass" until I realized what I was saying. Currently, my students like saying "bitch," "slut," and "hell."

We're a long way from a discussion about Feminism.

No comments: