Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Who else? There must be others....

I went to college with Matthew Roth, and he has a novel coming out from the reincarnated Soft Skull Press called Candy in Action. I don't remember how I met Matt--we were the same year at GW, but I don't think I had any classes with him. Even though GW is a fairly big university, the number of people interested in art etc is pretty small, so I suppose that's how I knew him.

He hosted literary salons in his apartment, which he invited me to, but I never went--I was too busy being uptight: Matt said something like, "bring something you're working on to read or share," and I said, "can I bring my Chinese flash cards?" I always liked Matt, but I respect him, too. He had a clarity of focus towards his writing that I didn't have in college.

There aren't that many people from GW who have gone on to have writing careers of any kind. Mark, Dan, Matt, I....

2 comments:

mark wallace said...

Wasn't there a former GW student who wrote a marginally successful Hollywood movie a few years back? I'm sure of it, but can't remember his name or the movie.

matthue said...

hey KLG -- thank you for saying all those kind things!

richard from soft skull sent me this page & asked who you were. i'm telling you, the man is superhuman. how are you?? and what are you working on these days??? we just found out today that we're moving back to the east coast in a few weeks....

i do kind of remember someone from GW getting a big hollywood contract, but nothing more than that.