Friday, August 24, 2007

Rainbow


I like the song, "The Man on the Silver Mountain." It's deep mythic hippie cheesiness appeals to me. Deeply. The first time I heard the song, I stupidly asked Mark what the song was about, and he said, "Well, it's about a man. On a silver mountain." That is what the song is about. Not much happens except mythic heavy metal language. I love it.

On the way back from the computer lab (after researching cults all morning), on of my Japanese students began to sing a song, translated on the spur of the moment from Japanese, about rainbows. He said, "Lorraine, sing a long and clap your hands! Don't be shy, let your love of rainbows out of you!"

This particular student is very weird and endearing. A few months ago he couldn't say anything, and now he's a comedian (ah, the heartwarming joys of ESL etc).

I told him that there was a 70s British band called Rainbow, and that their most famous song was called "The Man on the Silver Mountain."

My student said, "What is the song about?"

This obviously made me very happy. I said, "It is about a man on a silver mountain." I then explained that the mountain wasn't made of silver, necessarily, but that the song isn't clear on that point.

No comments: