Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I miss being called whitey

When, oh when, will high-waisted pants trickle down to plebeian fashion? I feel like I've been seeing them on models in magazines for at least the past three years, and yet there is still no Gap high-waisted jean, no high-waisted trouser from Express. Target, where are you in all of this? I've had enough of sheer jersey! I love high-waisted pants, as long as they're cut slim, although it's ok if they have straight legs. They make fairly short individuals like me look tall(er)!

I had a pair of brown velvet high-waisted pants, but they were vintage and they've ripped and are unwearable. I have some deep navy high-waisted sailor pants (you know, with the buttons in front), but they are made of wool, and really not practical for California.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I have a pair of GAP high waisted pants. The skirt I'm wearing today is waisted almost above my belly b/c it's an extra-small and I'm now a medium.

In Senegal you'd be called 'Toubab'.

K. Lorraine Graham said...

I remember you telling me about those pants once--but does the rise really go all the way up to the belly button?

L.A. Howe said...

lorraine, save those pants you like and when you get some money buy some fabric you like and go to a tailor, tell them to make a pattern out of your pants and make you a new pair in the fabric you like. it's worth it, totally. i have a button up shirt i've been saving to do the same thing with.

K. Lorraine Graham said...

Lisa--you are so smart! Basically, I want a tuxedo.

Now, if only I could find a good pattern for an androgynous sailor suit, a la Colette.