Thursday, May 18, 2006

Copy cat questionnaire

When did you last die?
-- When I realized I would have to stay at Georgetown a whole semester longer than I needed/wanted to.

What gets you out of bed in the morning?
-- Not having the option to sleep in. On days I don't have to work, the promise of a walk, or run, or brunch, or time to write, or donuts.

What became of your childhood dreams?
-- I wanted to be a writer and travel the world. I'm not doing too badly.

What sets you apart from from everyone else?
-- Probably not that much. I'm multi talented and attractive, but so are a lot of people. I'm not insane.

What is missing from your life?
-- Not that much. There are a lot of things I want, though, but that's not the same thing as something missing.

Do you think that everyone can be an artist?
-- There are a lot of talented people, but that doesn't mean they'll have the desire and the means to be an artist.

Where do you come from?
-- I used to have a lot of trouble with this question. I grew up overseas and in Maine, and I lived in Washington, DC off and on for 9 years. I don't feel from anywhere, but I do feel a strong connection to certain places: Washington, DC, China, Malaysia, Iran, and Maine are the most important.

Do you find your lot an enviable one?
-- Yes.

What have you given up?
-- Not much. There are several contradictions I can't resolve, though. For example, I'd like to travel more but I don't like being away from those I love. I'm working on combining the two.

What do you do with your money?
-- Pay off debt. If there's anything after that, I try to save (this is a habit I'm learning). I buy books and music, and stuff to make things. Travel. Go out to eat or get food to cook. Clothing. Perfume.

What household task gives you the most trouble?
-- All of them except cooking. I'm not very neat. I like things to be neat, but I must not care that much, since cleaning is always low on my list of priorities.

What are your favorite pleasures?
-- I have a lot of them: Friday night dinner with Mark, scratching Lester's head, Yoga, dancing, hiking, cooking, eating brunch, swimming, bathing, music, washing the dishes while Lester sits on my shoulder and sings, travelling, intense conversation.

What would you like to receive for your birthday?
-- I always want a lot of things. I'd like some camping equipment and a new day pack. My birthday is June 11.

Cite three living artists whom you detest.
-- Mmm. I don't really detest any. There are a lot of artists who are jerks and produce crappy work, but that's true in any social or professional context.

What do you stick up for?
-- Birds. Public transportation. Psychoanalysis. Physical and emotional safety (and the need to always be thinking about them, questioning them, reevaluating them, trying to understand them)

What are you capable of refusing?
-- A lot, depending on the situation. I have trouble refusing 1) an opportunity to travel and 2) the chance to see a loved one. These two things are either directly connected or directly opposed. Ugh.

What is the most fragile part of your body?
-- My skin, literally. The rest of me is super tough.

What has love made you capable of doing?
-- Making art a priority. Not hating everyone. Feeling more ok about being alienated, if that's possible.

What do other people reproach you for?
-- Being happy. Having something to do after work. Not being married. Being messy.

What does art do for you?
-- helps me understand and explore the world

Write your epitaph.
-- I don't really care about this. Epitaphs are for the people still living. So whoever outlives me and wants an epitaph for me should write or choose one they like.

In what form would you like to return?
-- I don't want to return.

No comments: