Monday, October 24, 2005

My Bird Sneezes/Today's Ailments/Teaching screw-ups

1. My bird, Lester the parrotlet, sneezes. A few mornings ago he had the hiccups. Other than this he is in excellent health.

2. Today's ailments:
  • Sinus headache
  • Regular headache
  • Tight external rotaters (or is it rotators?), especially on the left size
  • Asthma acting up
  • General nervousness about the weather and the Halloween decorating I must do for my EFL classroom.

3. Today's teaching screw-ups:

  • Choosing "pomegranate" for a game of hangman and then spelling it "pommegranet"
  • Choosing "mollusk" for a hangman word, then thinking I'd spelled it wrong when in fact I'd spelled it correctly. One of my students is a biologist.
  • Asking vague questions such as, "So, what do you think of Aristotle?"

4. Etc. Today I learned the word "pococurante." It can be an adjective, meaning "indifferent" or apathetic." Or a noun, meaning "one who does not care." And yes, pococurantism is a word in use. Are any of you, dear readers, pococurants?

No comments: