Thursday, May 28, 2009

I have a tendency to be sarcastic, but I don't mind knowing that some kids I was kissing when I was 12 went on to become ecological engineers.


When I was in fifth grade, I went to a winter solstice party at a friend's house in Maine. The friend was my boyfriend (in the 5th grade sense of the term), and his family actually lived in the same house that my aunt had lived in a few years before, so I knew the surrounding woods well. Me and my fifth grade boyfriend used to wander around the woods behind the house all the time. I remember once we went out barefoot during deer-hunting season. I just remember that I had pine sap all over my feet at the end of the excursion. Every so often we'd stop and yell "don't shoot me, I'm human." Anyway, it was the kind of party where there was ice staking and cider and spiced wine and cookies and probably pot. Me and my friends burned a lot of candles and made huge piles of wax on the floor. I remember talking with my fifth grade boyfriend's youngest brother, who was about four or five. He explained to me that he used to have a hundred pennies, but now he only had a dollar. He was unsatisfied. My fifth grade boyfriend and his brothers now work at the Metta Earth Institute, a retreat center in Vermont. I've blogged about my experiences at the Bay School before. Power to hippie education!

No comments: