Thursday, February 21, 2008

I was confused about many things


Alas, there are no readings this evening.

I am going to make a lentil stew thing with greens. Lentils are good with greens. Also, I have a rather large amount of lentils in my cupboard, and also a lot of greens in my fridge.

I want to brine my own corned beef for St. Patrick's day this year--all in practice for one day spending St. Patrick's day with my sisters and Dad and Mary in Westport (we'd have to climb Croagh Patrick the next day to work off the corned beef). This will likely never happen, but I want to be prepared. Mark and I will eat leftover corned beef on sandwiches and in breakfast hash.

I wish that Jean Rhys had written more. I wish Jane Bowles had written more. I have to stop myself from rereading Good Morning, Midnight and Two Serious Ladies every month. When I'm tired and frustrated with reading, those books are all I want to read. I think it's probably time for me to reread Nadja. Maybe I'll be able to appreciate it without feeling so hostile towards it and endlessly comparing it to Nightwood.

Here are some books I would like to read:
  • Insel - Mina Loy
  • Daughters of Decadence: Women Writers of the Fin De Siecle - Elaine Showalter
  • Trauma: A Genealogy - Ruth Leys
  • The Open: Man and Animal - Giorgio Agamben
  • The Blindfold - Siri Hustvedt
  • CALAFIA'S CHILDREN, The California Heritage Poetry Curriculum - Oakland Unified School District
  • Becoming Sinners: Christianity and Moral Torment in a Papua New Guinea Society (Ethnographic Studies in Subjectivity, 4) - Joel Robbins
And a lot of other books

2 comments:

-kaplan said...

I started reading a Siri Hustvedt novel last year and lost it (i.e., lost the book, not my mind).

I want to read more now.

Jessica Smith said...

Please please read The Blindfold. I don't know about any other of Siri's work. but please please read that.

Both of you, but especially Lorraine. Lorraine. Seriously. I've overhyped it so much now that you're sure to be somewhat disappointed, but not much, no.

the Leys sounds interesting. I have read parts of the Showalter. I read A White Night. it was amazing. the book is available free now on Google Books.